Ventable, pilot operated, balanced piston relief main stage with integral T-8A control cavity and drain to port 4
This valve is a normally closed modulating element that incorporates an integral pilot control cavity. It is ventable, externally drained, and is a balanced piston design. The pilot control cavity will accept any T-8A pressure control cartridge. When the pressure at the inlet (port 1) reaches the pilot control cartridge setting, the modulating element starts to open to tank (port 2), throttling flow to regulate the pressure. The pilot cartridge's setting determines the difference in pressure between the inlet (port 1) and the drain (port 4). The vent port (port 3) that tees in between the main piston and pilot control cartridge, allows the modulating element to also be controlled by remote pilot or 2-way valves.
- Will accept maximum pressure at port 2; suitable for use in cross port relief circuits.
- Main stage orifice is protected by a 150 micron stainless steel screen.
- Not suitable for use in load holding applications due to spool leakage.
- Pressure at port 4 is directly additive to the valve setting at a 1:1 ratio and should not exceed 5000 psi (350 bar).
- NOTE: With the -8 control option, the main stage valve should first be installed to the correct torque value. The T-8A pilot control valve should then be installed into the main stage valve to its required torque value.
- The -8 control option allows the pilot control valve to be incorporated directly into the end of the relief cartridge via the T-8A cavity. These pilot control cartridges are sold separately and include electro-proportional, solenoid, air pilot, and hydraulic pilot operation. See Pilot Control Cartridges.
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||120 gpm480 L/min.|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Response Time - Typical||10 ms10 ms|
|Pilot Control Cavity||T-8AT-8A|
|Pilot Control Valve Installation Torque||20 - 25 lbf ft27 - 33 Nm|
|Pilot Control Valve Hex Size||7/8 in.22,2 mm|
|Main stage leakage at 110 SUS (24 cSt)||5 in³/min.@1000 psi80 cc/min.@70 bar|
|Valve Hex Size||1 5/8 in.41,3 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||350 - 375 lbf ft474 - 508 Nm|
|Model Weight||3.10 lb1,40 kg|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990024007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Polyurethane: 990024002|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990024006|
Direct-acting valves are used to prevent over pressure, and pilot-operated valves are used to regulate pressure. If you are unsure, use a direct-acting valve. Sun's direct acting valves are very fast, dirt tolerant, stable, and robust. Sun's pilot-operated valves are moderately fast, they have a low pressure rise vs. flow curve, and they are easy to adjust.
The kick-down relief acts much like a circuit breaker. When the pressure at the inlet (port 1) of the relief valve rises to the setting, the valve pops open and drops the pressure down to 100 psi or so. The valve stays open until flow through it stops. Shutting off the supply of oil will reset the valve; reversing pressure on the valve is a positive way of resetting it.
One graphic example is on a portable grain auger for silos. When the farmer gets caught in the auger the kick-down relief trips and allows him to escape.
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
Pressure setting tolerances are listed in our Performance Data page. A link to this page can also be found in the Additional Resources tab of the applicable product page.
Maybe not. We build in a good amount of overlap in the kick-down reliefs to prevent false tripping. This means they are not as fast as our standard pilot-operated reliefs. A direct-acting relief valve set just above the kick-down relief valve would be good insurance.
- Compound cartridge (pilot and main stage) assembly information is provided for reference only. Cartridges must be ordered separately and assembled at point of use.
- 'Soft' Relief Eliminates Pressure Spikes
- Pilot-Operated, Balanced Poppet, Anti Shock Reliefs
- CavitySaver multi-function valves deliver single-cartridge solutions
- Sun Introduces 'Hybrid' Valves
- Tri-Grip Handknob Now Offered From Sun as a Standard Control Option
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Electro-Proportional Basics Explained
- CE/TÜV Certified Pressure Relief Valves
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- Pressure Relief and Regulating Cartridge Valve Technical Tips
- Pilot Operated, Balanced Poppet Relief Valves
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- Pressure Relief and Regulating Valves (655.91 KB)
- Proportional Amplifiers and Ancillary Products (2.06 MB)
- Manufacturing Sun Cartridge Cavities (522.27 KB)
- Solenoid Coils for Switching and Proportional Valves (975.2 KB)
- Electro-Proportional Cartridge Valves (1.28 MB)
- Units of Measure, Settings, and Conversions
- Sun Model Code Explanation; 999-901-334 (343.9 KB)
- Performance Data
- Electro-Hydraulic Terms and Definitions (2.94 MB)
- Cartridges: Materials of Construction
- Cavity Information (S-171) and Tooling
- Sun's Floating Style Screw-In Cartridge (1.06 MB)
- Fluid Recommendations: Oil Viscosity, Cleanliness & Temperature
- Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU