Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
Sun is pleased to announce the release of cartridges configured with EPDM seals for use with phosphate ester fluids. EPDM seals, or Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer, provide compatibility with type 4 and 5 fluids, with trade names such as Skydrol®, Fyrquel®, HyJet™ and Pyrogard™ 53 and offer high stability over wide temperature ranges.
Cartridges fitted with EPDM seals are the right choice for harsh application segments including:
- Aircraft component testing and ground support equipment
- Forestry equipment
- Automotive brake components test systems
- Mining - above and below ground machines
- Military - auxiliary ground support equipment
- Marine - Deck cranes, deck lifts, steering and stabilizing systems
- Applications requiring higher-temperature, fire-resistant hydraulic fluids
Features and Benefits of EPDM seals:
- Allows previously excluded market segments to utilize Sun's premium cartridge valve technology, renowned reliable service, and flexible delivery options.
- 80 durometer EPDM rubber O-rings; Parker Compound; E0893-80
- Operating temperature range of -70°F to 250°F (-60°C to 120°C)
- Have no limited shelf life
- Are purple in color for easy stock and field identification
Cartridges configured with EPDM seals will also contain the following seal material: PTFE (Teflon®, product of E.I. DuPont Co.) back-up rings and/or Teflon cap seal, product of Parker Seal Division
Application Notes and Cautions:
- Cartridges with EPDM seals are for use in systems with phosphate ester fluids. Exposure to petroleum-based fluids, greases and lubricants will damage the seals. EPDM seals are also not recommended in food applications with exposure to aromatic hydrocarbons.
- To protect the seal integrity, cartridges will be individually packaged at the factory in sealed plastic bags and will not be installed in assemblies.
- Sun authorized distributors can install and ship assemblies upon customer request.
- Manifolds and standard Sun packages equipped with either Buna-N or Viton seals are not compatible with phosphate ester fluids and therefore can not be used with cartridges fitted with EPDM seals.
Availability and Additional Information
- Sun has released an initial selection of cartridges with EPDM seals. Seal choices can be found on individual product pages in the CONFIGURATION section by using the SEAL MATERIAL drop down box. The letter E in the 7th position of the cartridge model code is used to depict EPDM seals.
- When navigating through cartridge product listings, use the SPECIAL MATERIALS filter located in the bottom left margin of the page and choose 'E'. To view the list of cartridges currently available with EPDM seals, click here.
- New models are being added regularly. If the model you're looking for currently does not show the EPDM seal choice, please inquire here on its availability.
- See our short EPDM Seals video.
- See our Materials of Construction and EPDM Technical Information page for additional information.