Ventable fixed orifice, pressure compensated flow control valve with integral T-8A control cavity
This valve is a fixed-orifice, pressure-compensated flow control valve with an integral pilot control cavity. The pilot control cavity will accept any T-8A pilot control cartridge. This type of valve provides precise flow regulation for meter-in or meter-out applications where there may be wide pressure fluctuations. The flow setting is specified by the user and is set at the factory.
- Customer must specify a flow rating. Factory set flow ratings are within +/- 10% of the requested setting.
- Note: With the -8 control option, the main stage valve should first be installed to the correct torque value. The T-8A pilot control valve should then be installed into the main stage valve to its required torque value.
- The -8 control option allows the pilot control valve to be incorporated directly into the end of the flow control cartridge via the T-8A cavity. These pilot control cartridges are sold separately and include electro-proportional, solenoid, air pilot, and hydraulic pilot operation. See Pilot Control Cartridges for more information.
- All 2-port flow control cartridges are physically and functionally interchangeable (i.e. same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size). However, cartridge extension dimensions from the mounting surface may vary.
- The sharp-edged orifice design minimizes flow variations due to viscosity changes.
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||12 gpm45 L/min.|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Pilot Control Cavity||T-8AT-8A|
|Valve Hex Size||1 1/8 in.28,6 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||45 - 50 lbf ft61 - 68 Nm|
|Model Weight||.40 lb0,20 kg|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990203007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990203006|
We claim +/- 10%. We set to +/- 5% in production testing to allow for differences in customers' conditions. If you want accuracy, stay in the bottom 2/3rds of the range. Our 12 gpm (45 L/min.) flow controls are quite flat at 9 gpm (34 L/min.) and dead flat below 6 gpm (23 L/min.), until you get to the bottom of the range. Below about .25 gpm (1 L/min.), spool leakage and orifice conditions start to limit accuracy.
I am afraid not. Unless you are overflowing your current valve and correctly size ours, you are not likely to notice any improvement. Priority flow controls are not efficient devices. They are an easy way to get more than 1 source of oil from 1 pump but they can generate a lot of heat. Try to size your actuators so the pressures are similar on both the priority and the bypass circuits. If you can't do that, try to have the lower flow leg be the lower pressure. The pump pressure is determined by whichever leg is higher and if there is flow that is taking a pressure drop that is not doing work it is creating heat.
All flow is blocked, hence the term priority. The priority flow has to be satisfied.
The valve acts as a 2 port restrictive flow control.
The spring force in our flow controls equates to about 100 psi (7 bar). This is high enough to give the valves acceptable capacity (not really) and not too high for proper circuit operation. 100 psi (7 bar) is the spring force; at the upper end of the flow control's range, the drop through the valve will be as high as 250 psi (17 bar) before it starts modulating.
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
In a meter-in flow control circuit if the pump is set at 3000 psi and the load is 2000 psi the drop through the flow control is 1000 psi. In a meter-out circuit with the load at 2000 psi the drop through the flow control is 2000 psi.
- Compound cartridge (pilot and main stage) assembly information is provided for reference only. Cartridges must be ordered separately and assembled at point of use.
- Check Valves, Flow Control and Priority Flow Control Valves Technical Tips
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Manufacturing Sun Cartridge Cavities (522.27 KB)