Direct-acting relief valve - before check
The relief-before-check cartridge is a CavitySaver™ (multi-function) valve incorporating a direct-acting relief tee'd in before a check function. When the pressure at the inlet (port 2) reaches the relief valve setting, the valve starts to open to tank (port 3), throttling flow to limit the pressure rise. The check valve flow is from the inlet (port 2) to the system port (port1). These valves are smooth and quiet, essentially zero leak, dirt tolerant, immune to silting and are very fast.
- Note! This valve deviates from Sun's normal flow path for relief valves. It is probably not useable in current Sun relief manifolds.
- The seals on the adjust screw are exposed to system pressure which means this valve can only be adjusted when the pressure is removed. The setting procedure is; check the setting, remove the pressure, adjust the valve, check the new setting.
- Select a spring range where the desired relief setting is approximately mid-range to high between the minimum and maximum pressure to ensure maximum valve repeatability.
- Suitable for use in load holding applications.
- The check portion of the valve has a maximum leakage rate of less than 1 drop/minute (0,07 cc/min).
- One purpose of this dual function cartridge is to offer pump isolation and relief protection in single and/or multiple pump circuits. Another purpose is to act as a main stage in an accumulator sense, pump unload circuit.
- The direct acting relief exhibits rapid response characteristics that minimize pressure overshoot and also provides low reseat leakage (less than 5 drops/min (0,3 cc/min) @ 85% of cracking pressure), check valve leackage is less than 1 drop/min (0,07 cc/min).
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||10 gpm40 L/min.|
|Factory Pressure Settings Established at||4 gpm15 L/min.|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Response Time - Typical||10 ms10 ms|
|Maximum Valve Leakage at Reseat||5 drops/min.0,3 cc/min.|
|Check Cracking Pressure||25 psi1,7 bar|
|Adjustment - No. of CW Turns from Min. to Max. setting||66|
|Valve Hex Size||7/8 in.22,2 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||30 - 35 lbf ft41 - 47 Nm|
|Adjustment Screw Internal Hex Size||5/32 in.4 mm|
|Locknut Hex Size||9/16 in.15 mm|
|Locknut Torque||80 - 90 lbf in.9 - 10 Nm|
|Model Weight||.35 lb0,15 kg|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990011007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Polyurethane: 990011002|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990011006|
Pressure setting tolerances are listed in our Performance Data page. A link to this page can also be found in the Additional Resources tab of the applicable product page.
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
Maybe not. We build in a good amount of overlap in the kick-down reliefs to prevent false tripping. This means they are not as fast as our standard pilot-operated reliefs. A direct-acting relief valve set just above the kick-down relief valve would be good insurance.
Direct-acting valves are used to prevent over pressure, and pilot-operated valves are used to regulate pressure. If you are unsure, use a direct-acting valve. Sun's direct acting valves are very fast, dirt tolerant, stable, and robust. Sun's pilot-operated valves are moderately fast, they have a low pressure rise vs. flow curve, and they are easy to adjust.
One graphic example is on a portable grain auger for silos. When the farmer gets caught in the auger the kick-down relief trips and allows him to escape.
- Pressure Relief and Regulating Cartridge Valve Technical Tips
- Pilot Operated, Balanced Poppet Relief Valves
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Pilot-Operated, Balanced Poppet, Anti Shock Reliefs
- CavitySaver multi-function valves deliver single-cartridge solutions
- 'Soft' Relief Eliminates Pressure Spikes
- Tri-Grip Handknob Now Offered From Sun as a Standard Control Option
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Sun Introduces 'Hybrid' Valves
- CE/TÜV Certified Pressure Relief Valves
- Cartridges: Materials of Construction
- Fluid Recommendations: Oil Viscosity, Cleanliness & Temperature
- Performance Data
- Sun's Floating Style Screw-In Cartridge (719.9 KB)
- Units of Measure, Settings, and Conversions
- Cavity Information (S-171) and Tooling
- Sun Model Code Explanation; 999-901-334 (343.9 KB)
- Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU