Ventable, pilot operated, balanced piston relief valve - before check
The ventable relief-before-check cartridge is a CavitySaver™ (multi-function) valve incorporating a ventable, pilot-operated, balanced piston relief tee'd in before a check function. When the pressure at the inlet (port 2) reaches the relief valve setting, the valve starts to open to tank (port 3), throttling flow to regulate the pressure. The check valve flow is from the inlet (port 2) to the system port (port1). The valve includes a vent port (port 4) that connects between the main piston and pilot stage to provide for remote control by other pilot or 2-way valves.
These valves are accurate, have low pressure rise vs. flow, are smooth, quiet, and are moderately fast.
- Note! This valve deviates from Sun's normal flow path for relief valves. It is probably not useable in current Sun relief manifolds.
- Minimum setting is 75 psi (5 bar) for all spring ranges.
- Back pressure at port 3 (tank) is directly additive to the valve setting at a 1:1 ratio.
- The check portion of the valve has a maximum leakage rate of less than 1 drop/minute (0,07 cc/min).
- One purpose of this dual function cartridge is to offer pump isolation and relief protection in single and/or multiple pump circuits. Another purpose is to act as a main stage in an accumulator sense, pump unload circuit.
- A remote pilot relief on port 4 (vent) will control the valve below its own setting.
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||10 gpm40 L/min.|
|Factory Pressure Settings Established at||4 gpm15 L/min.|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Response Time - Typical||10 ms10 ms|
|Maximum Valve Leakage at 110 SUS (24 cSt)||2 in³/min.@1000 psi30 cc/min.@70 bar|
|Check Cracking Pressure||25 psi1,7 bar|
|Adjustment - No. of CW Turns from Min. to Max. Setting||55|
|Valve Hex Size||7/8 in.22,2 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||30 - 35 lbf ft41 - 47 Nm|
|Adjustment Screw Internal Hex Size||5/32 in.4 mm|
|Locknut Hex Size||9/16 in.15 mm|
|Locknut Torque||80 - 90 lbf in.9 - 10 Nm|
|Model Weight||.35 lb0,15 kg|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990021007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Polyurethane: 990021002|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990021006|
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
Maybe not. We build in a good amount of overlap in the kick-down reliefs to prevent false tripping. This means they are not as fast as our standard pilot-operated reliefs. A direct-acting relief valve set just above the kick-down relief valve would be good insurance.
Direct-acting valves are used to prevent over pressure, and pilot-operated valves are used to regulate pressure. If you are unsure, use a direct-acting valve. Sun's direct acting valves are very fast, dirt tolerant, stable, and robust. Sun's pilot-operated valves are moderately fast, they have a low pressure rise vs. flow curve, and they are easy to adjust.
One graphic example is on a portable grain auger for silos. When the farmer gets caught in the auger the kick-down relief trips and allows him to escape.
Pressure setting tolerances are listed in our Performance Data page. A link to this page can also be found in the Additional Resources tab of the applicable product page.
- Pilot Operated, Balanced Poppet Relief Valves
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Pilot-Operated, Balanced Poppet, Anti Shock Reliefs
- CavitySaver multi-function valves deliver single-cartridge solutions
- 'Soft' Relief Eliminates Pressure Spikes
- Tri-Grip Handknob Now Offered From Sun as a Standard Control Option
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Sun Introduces 'Hybrid' Valves
- CE/TÜV Certified Pressure Relief Valves
- Pressure Relief and Regulating Cartridge Valve Technical Tips