Kick-down, pilot operated, balanced piston relief valve
Kick-down relief cartridges act similar to a circuit breaker in an electrical system. The valves will kick completely open and remain open once the pressure at the inlet (port 1) exceeds the valve settting, creating an unrestricted flow path from port 1 to tank (port 2). The valve remains open as long as the pressure at port 1 exceeds the pressure at port 2. To reset the valve, flow from port 1 to port 2 must cease and pressure at port 2 must be equal to or greater than the pressure at port 1.
- To reset valve, flow through the cartridge must cease.
- Main stage orifice is protected by a 150 micron stainless steel screen.
- Not suitable for use in load holding applications.
- Intended for use on the actuator side of the system as flow through the valve must cease for the valve to reset. If used on the pump side of a system, pump flow must be shut off for the valve to reset.
- Back pressure on the tank port (port 2) is directly additive to the valve setting at a 1:1 ratio.
- All 2-port relief cartridges (except pilot reliefs) are physically and functionally interchangeable (same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size).
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||12 gpm45 L/min.|
|Factory Pressure Settings Established at||Kick down pointKick down point|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Response Time - Typical||25 ms25 ms|
|Maximum Valve Leakage at 110 SUS (24 cSt)||2 in³/min.@1000 psi30 cc/min.@70 bar|
|Adjustment - No. of CW Turns from Min. to Max. Setting||55|
|Valve Hex Size||3/4 in.19,1 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||20 - 25 lbf ft27 - 33 Nm|
|Adjustment Screw Internal Hex Size||5/32 in.4 mm|
|Locknut Hex Size||9/16 in.15 mm|
|Locknut Torque||80 - 90 lbf in.9 - 10 Nm|
|Model Weight||.20 lb0,10 kg|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990162007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Polyurethane: 990162002|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990162006|
Direct-acting valves are used to prevent over pressure, and pilot-operated valves are used to regulate pressure. If you are unsure, use a direct-acting valve. Sun's direct acting valves are very fast, dirt tolerant, stable, and robust. Sun's pilot-operated valves are moderately fast, they have a low pressure rise vs. flow curve, and they are easy to adjust.
One graphic example is on a portable grain auger for silos. When the farmer gets caught in the auger the kick-down relief trips and allows him to escape.
Pressure setting tolerances are listed in our Performance Data page. A link to this page can also be found in the Additional Resources tab of the applicable product page.
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
Maybe not. We build in a good amount of overlap in the kick-down reliefs to prevent false tripping. This means they are not as fast as our standard pilot-operated reliefs. A direct-acting relief valve set just above the kick-down relief valve would be good insurance.
- Do not use in load holding applications.
- Pilot-Operated, Balanced Poppet, Anti Shock Reliefs
- CavitySaver multi-function valves deliver single-cartridge solutions
- 'Soft' Relief Eliminates Pressure Spikes
- Tri-Grip Handknob Now Offered From Sun as a Standard Control Option
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Sun Introduces 'Hybrid' Valves
- CE/TÜV Certified Pressure Relief Valves
- Pressure Relief and Regulating Cartridge Valve Technical Tips
- Pilot Operated, Balanced Poppet Relief Valves
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Sun's Floating Style Screw-In Cartridge (719.9 KB)
- Units of Measure, Settings, and Conversions
- Cavity Information (S-171) and Tooling
- Sun Model Code Explanation; 999-901-334 (343.9 KB)
- Cartridges: Materials of Construction
- Fluid Recommendations: Oil Viscosity, Cleanliness & Temperature
- Performance Data
- Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU