Vent-to-open, spring-biased closed, unbalanced poppet logic element with pilot source from port 2 and integral T-8A control cavity
This valve is an unbalanced, vent-to-open, 2-way logic switching element with an integral pilot control cavity. It is spring biased closed and uses port 2 as a pilot source. With a pilot 2-way valve in the closed position installed in the T-8A cavity, the logic element will remain in the closed position. With the pilot valve open, the logic element will open providing there is a sufficient combination of pressures to overcome the spring force. The force generated at port 3, plus the spring force, must be greater than the sum of the forces acting at port 1 and port 2 for the valve to remain closed. NOTE: The pilot area (port 3) is 1.8 times the area at port 1 and 2.25 times the area at port 2.
- These valves have positive seals between port 2 and the pilot area.
- NOTE: With the -8 control option, the main stage valve should first be installed to the correct torque value. The T-8A pilot control valve should then be installed into the main stage valve to its required torque value.
- The -8 control option allows the pilot control valve to be incorporated directly into the end of the logic cartridge via the T-8A cavity. These pilot control cartridges are sold separately and include electro-proportional, solenoid, air pilot, and hydraulic pilot operation. See Pilot Control Cartridges.
- These valves open quickly when vented. Time to close is difficult to predict as it is dependent on the rate of flow and the pressure drop created as it closes.
- Because these valves are unbalanced, operation is pressure dependent. Opening and closing of the poppet are functions of the force balances on three areas: Port 1 = 100%, Port 2 = 80%, and the Pilot Area = 180%.
- These valves are pressure responsive at all ports, therefore it is essential to consider all aspects of system operation through a complete cycle. Pressure changes at any one port may cause a valve to switch from a closed to an open position, or vice versa. All possible pressure changes in the complete circuit must be considered to assure a safe, functional system design.
- All ports will accept 5000 psi (350 bar).
- Incorporates the Sun floating style construction to minimize the possibility of internal parts binding due to excessive installation torque and/or cavity/cartridge machining variations.
|Capacity||100 gpm380 L/min.|
|Maximum Operating Pressure||5000 psi350 bar|
|Pilot Volume Displacement||.25 in³4,1 cc|
|Area Ratio, A3 to A1||1.8:11.8:1|
|Area Ratio, A3 to A2||2.25:12.25:1|
|Pilot Control Cavity||T-8AT-8A|
|Control Orifice Diameter||.031 in.0,8 mm|
|Valve Hex Size||1 1/4 in.31,8 mm|
|Valve Installation Torque||150 - 160 lbf ft203 - 217 Nm|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Buna: 990017007|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Polyurethane: 990017002|
|Seal kit - Cartridge||Viton: 990017006|
There are exactly 250 Sun drops in a cubic inch or 15 in a cc.
Direct-acting valves are used to prevent over pressure, and pilot-operated valves are used to regulate pressure. If you are unsure, use a direct-acting valve. Sun's direct acting valves are very fast, dirt tolerant, stable, and robust. Sun's pilot-operated valves are moderately fast, they have a low pressure rise vs. flow curve, and they are easy to adjust.
Because of the very high ratio, the COFO has limited capacity. The discharge path is across a .050 inch (1,3 mm) diameter orifice. If you have large accumulators combined with low precharge pressures, this may not discharge the energy quickly enough. Using the COFO XDN cartridge in conjunction with an LODA XDN will provide capacity for larger applications.
- Compound cartridge (pilot and main stage) assembly information is provided for reference only. Cartridges must be ordered separately and assembled at point of use.
- Sun Expands Corrosion-Resistant Solutions
- Logic Element Cartridges Technical Tips
- QuickDesign with SmartConnect Offers Drag-and-Drop Schematic Tool
- Series 4 PLUS Cartridges Offer Higher Flows with Lower Pressure Losses
- Sun Offers Zinc-Nickel Plating for Corrosion Resistance
- Sun's New FLeX Series Solenoid Valves & Coils
- More Options for Logic Elements with Position-Indicating Switch
- Sun Cartridges with EPDM Seals
- New FLeX Series Solenoid-Operated Directional Valves
- Take the Guesswork Out of Logic Circuits
- Reduce Cylinder Decompression Shock and Cost of Ownership
- Pilot Controlled Directional Cartridges Technical Tips
- CavitySaver multi-function valves deliver single-cartridge solutions
- Manufacturing Sun Cartridge Cavities (522.27 KB)